University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Graduate Awards

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 12/07/2009 - 3:51pm

Graduate students in Veterinary Medicine are paid a stipend either from a research grant held by the primary supervisor or through a variety of internal and external awards. All graduate trainees and their supervisors are encouraged to apply for funding from sources such as those listed below:

Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Awards

VMS Tuition Scholarship

Open to VMS graduate students in the first two years of their MSc program and the first four years in their PhD program. Students must be registered full-time in the VMS program and must be in good standing, i.e., tuition and fee payments must be up to date, GPA must be at least 3.0, all program requirements have been completed on time (including submission of research proposal, annual committee meeting, complete the FGS-required APR etc.). The VMS Tuition Scholarship will be awarded to eligible students four times per year at the beginning of each session (January, May, July, and September). The VMS Tuition Scholarships are effective January 1, 2016.

Eligible international Students will also receive full tuition scholarships, including all differential tuition fees. Differential fees will continue to be returned to all international students (regardless of year in program) according to VMS program policy (at a rate of 65%); those student meeting the VMS tuition scholarship eligibility above will receive the remaining 35% of differential fees as part of this VMS tuition scholarship program.

These tuition awards are made directly to the students, and do not change the obligation of supervisors to meet the VMS-required minimum stipend of $20,000.


**Eyes High Awards are now on hold and will re-open for new applications as of April 1, 2017**

Open to students supervised by UCVM faculty members, who are registered full time in a graduate program and are in good standing. Awards will be leveraged such that 75% of total costs will be available for support, i.e., supervisors are responsible for the remaining 25% of the costs from operating, department, or other funding sources.

Eyes High Award funding is tied to VMS Tuition Scholarship funding:  Tuition Awards receive first priority and Eyes High Awards are funded with the remainder of this funding pool.   At this time, Eyes High funding is suspended until  April 1st of the next budget year.

Top-Flight Award: Presenting thesis work at the best international conferences in their fields.         

Raise-your-Game Award: Attending a special workshop or course to raise your game to a new level.         

Learn-from-the-Best: Visits to the best international laboratories to master special techniques, collect unique date, develop collaborations, and share knowledge.       

Bring-the-Best-to-the UofC: Visits to Calgary by international stars - selected by graduate students - to share knowledge and introduce UCVM to the world.

Up-Your-Game: Transferring from MSc to PhD program. Supervisors may contact vmgrad@ucalgary.ca directly if they would like to nominate a student for this funding. No nomination form is required, only a supervisor recommendation and a paragraph from the student explaining their rationale for the change. This award is in the amount of $1,300. 


UCVM Vetoquinol Award in Swine and Bovine

Details on these awards and application instructions can be found here.

Vetoquinol Canada Veterinary Graduate Scholarship in Swine production Medicine

Open to students who when they take up the award will be registered in the second year of a full-time graduate program in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.

Area of focus: any area relevant to Swine Production Medicine

Deadline for Application: May 1st each year

Vetoquinol Canada Veterinary Graduate Scholarship in Bovine Reproduction

Open to students who when they take up the award will be registered in the second year of a full-time graduate program in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.

Area of focus: any area relevant to Bovine Reproduction

Deadline for Application: May 1st each year


Outstanding Achievement by a UCVM Graduate Student: Zoetis-sponsored award of $2500

The award will be presented by the Associate Dean Graduate Education and will recognize a graduate student supervised by a UCVM faculty member who has significantly advanced the mission of UCVM through excellence in research, communication of science and/or leadership. The nominated individual may be in any graduate program but must be supervised by a UCVM faculty member and have been at the University of Calgary for a minimum of two years. DEADLINE: Nominations are to be submitted in one PDF to vmgrad@ucalgary.ca by 4:30pm, September 5th of each year.

The nomination should include:

  • A letter of recommendation from the primary supervisor identifying specific contributions of the nominee. The letter may be co-signed by supervisory committee members;
  • A letter from the relevant Graduate Program Director attesting to the contributions and excellence of the nominee; and 
  • An up-to-date curriculum vitae.

Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Supervision

The award will be presented by the Veterinary Medical Sciences Graduate Student Association and will recognize a UCVM faculty member who has actively promoted excellence in graduate education and research through excellence in supervision. The nominated individual must be a UCVM faculty member who has supervised graduate students at the University of Calgary for a minimum of two years. DEADLINE: Nominations are to be submitted to vmgrad@ucalgary.ca by 4:30pm, September 5th of each year.

The nomination should include:

  • A letter of recommendation from a current graduate student identifying specific contributions that demonstrate excellence in teaching, supervision and mentorship of graduate students. The letter may be co-signed by other graduate students;
  • A letter from the relevant Graduate Program Director attesting to the contributions and excellence in supervision of the nominee; and
  • An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including a list of all students supervised (past and present).

University of Calgary Awards

Faculty of Graduate Studies Graduate Awards

CIHR Training Program in Genetics, Child Development & Health

Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship

Graduate Teaching Assistantships
A limited number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships are available to support the stipends of graduate students who, in addition to doing there own research and coursework under the supervision of a member of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, also contribute to curriculum development and the teaching of undergraduate veterinary students. Please contact vmgrad@ucalgary.ca for further details.

External Awards

In addition, graduate students and their supervisors are eligible to apply for several external awards:

Alberta Ingenuity Fund (AIF)

Alberta Innovates - Health Solutions (AIHS)

Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)

Merial Research Award for Graduate Veterinarians. Learn more