Associate Professor (Conservation Medicine)
Dipl. ECZM (Zoo Health Management)
Dr. Whiteside is an instructor in several courses and clinical skill labs in the first three years of the veterinary program and is a primary instructor for the senior year Zoological Medicine and Conservation Medicine rotations based out of the Calgary Zoo. He also has lectured in graduate level courses at the University of Calgary and coordinates the UCVM-Calgary Zoo internship in zoological medicine.
Course Coordinator/Lead Instructor:
- VetM 583: Conservation Medicine Rotation, Zoo Medicine and Surgery Rotation
- VetM 550: Zoological Medicine
- VetM 463: Career Options and Field Experiences in Veterinary Medicine (Co-Coordinator)
Preferred method of communication
Please contact the faculty member directly at the email or phone number listed above. If you are not able to reach them, the faculty assistant listed below may be able to help.
Phone:+1 (403) 210-6085
Research and teaching
- Wildlife and Zoo Medicine
- Ecosystem Health
- Immunology and Infectious Disease
- Animal Welfare
- Reproductive Biology
My research program centers on the development of collaborative conservation medicine projects that are focused on exploring One Health interactions through a conservation lens, and on bridging knowledge gaps between wildlife under human care and free ranging wildlife, with the aim of improving the welfare and success of wildlife conservation efforts.
The goals of this collaborative research program are to:
- Develop and validate indicators of wildlife health and welfare, especially those relevant to conservation efforts.
- Adapt and employ innovations in animal husbandry, nutrition, genomics, and reproductive technologies to maintain and salvage genetic diversity.
- Refine and adapt clinical veterinary procedures to improve animal welfare, and the safety and efficacy of clinical interventions for wildlife and people involved in conservation efforts.
Dr. Whiteside received his DVM from the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph (1995). After two years in rural mixed animal practice, he then completed a one-year zoological medicine internship at the Louisville Zoo in Kentucky. This was followed by a three-year residency in zoo and wildlife medicine and pathology at the Toronto Zoo and Ontario Veterinary College, with concurrent completion of a DVSc in Pathobiology (2001). Dr. Whiteside is a board-certified specialist in Zoological Medicine (Diplomate of the American College of Zoological Medicine and the European College of Zoological Medicine). His clinical home is the Calgary Zoo. He has been involved with UCVM from its early stages as a clinical associate professor with sessional appointments, and joined the faculty as a full-time associate professor in 2018. Dr. Whiteside is active on several national and international committees, and enjoys the clinical, teaching, and research challenges afforded to him by his current positions.
Select Refereed Publications
*- student trainee
- Vaasjo, E.J.*, Black, S.R., Pastor, A.R., and Whiteside D.P. (2021): Assessing the humoral response to and safety of a commercially available equine West Nile virus vaccine in a zoo-based conservation breeding population of endangered greater sage-grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine.
- Dulude-de Broin, F., Côté, S.D., Whiteside, D.P. and Mastromonaco, G.F. (2019). Faecal metabolites and Hair cortisol as biological markers of HPA-axis activity in the Rocky Mountain Goat. General and Comparative Endocrinology.
- Koren, L., Bryan, H., Matas, D., Tinman, S., Fahlman, Å., Whiteside, D., Smits, J. and Wynne‐ Edwards, K. (2019). Towards the validation of endogenous steroid testing in wildlife hair. Journal of Applied Ecology, 56(3), pp.547-561.
- Krishnakumar, S.*, Whiteside, D.P. Elkin, B., Thundathil, JC. (2017). A preliminary assessment of the effects of reproductive seasonality on seminal plasma characteristics in North American bison (Bison bison). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, 48(1):91-101.
- Krishnakumar, S.*, Whiteside, D.P., Elkin, B., Thundathil, J. C. (2015). Effect of Reproductive Seasonality on Gamete Quality in the North American Bison (Bison bison bison). Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 50(2): 206-213.
- Krishnakumar, S.*, Whiteside, D.P. Elkin, B., Thundathil, JC. (2013). Effect of Chilling Duration on Post-Thaw Characteristics of Sperm from the North American bison (Bison bison). Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 48 (4): 636-642
- Koren, L, Whiteside, D, Fahlman, A, Ruckstuhl, K, Kutz, S, Checkley, S, Dumond, M, Wynne- Edwards, K. (2012). Cortisol and corticosterone independence in cortisol-dominant wildlife. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 177 (1): 113-119.
- Schrader, GM*, Whiteside, DP, Slater, OM, Black, SR (2012). Conservative management of pyothorax in an Amur tiger (Panthera tigris altaica). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 43(2): 425-429
- Rose, N, Warren, AL, Whiteside, D, Bidulka, J, Robinson, JH, Illianes, O, Brookfield C. (2012). Columbid herpesvirus-1 mortality in great horned owls (Bubo virginianus) from Calgary, Alberta. Canadian Veterinary Journal. 53 (3): 265-268
- Krishnakumar, S.*, Whiteside, D, Elkin B., Thundathil J. (2011). Evaluation of an animal protein- free semen extender for cryopreservation of epididymal sperm from North American bison (Bison bison) Theriogenology. 76 (2): 252-260
- Hargreaves, A.L., Whiteside D.P., Gilchrist, G. (2011). Concentrations of 17 elements, including mercury, in the tissues, food and abiotic environment of Arctic shorebirds. Science of the Total Environment. 409(19): 3757-3770
- Dadone, L. I.*, Whiteside, D.P., Black, S.R., Remedios, A., Raverty. S. (2011). Nasal osteosarcoma and interstitial cell tumor in a Vancouver Island marmot (Marmota vancouverensis). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 42(2):330-334.
- Pegge, RBG.*, Krishnakumar, S.*, Whiteside, D., Elkin, B., Parlevliet, JM., Thundathil, J. Sperm characteristics in plains (Bison bison bison) versus wood (Bison bison athabascae) bison (2011) Theriogenology, 75: (7) 1360-1370
- Hargreaves, A.L., Whiteside D.P., Gilchrist, G. (2011). Mercury and other trace elements in arctic shorebirds and their eggs. Science of the Total Environment. 408 (16): 3153-3161
- Whiteside, D.P. (2009). Nutrition and feeding behaviour of coati and raccoons. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic animal practice. 12 (2): 187-198
- Aurini, L.C.*, Whiteside, D.P., Elkin B.T., Thundathil, J.C. (2008). Recovery and cryopreservation of epididymal sperm of plains bison (Bison bison bison) as a model for salvaging the genetics of wood bison (Bison bison athabascae). Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 10.1111/j.1439- 0531.2008.01087
- Salb, A. L. *, Barkema, H.W. Elkin B.T., Thompson, R.C., Whiteside, D.P., Black, S.R., Dubey, J.P., Kutz, S. J. (2008). Domestic dogs as sources and sentinels of parasites in Northern people and wildlife. Journal of Emerging Infectious Diseases. 14 (1): 60-63
- Whiteside, D. P., Barker, Conlon, P.D., Tesoro, A., Thiessen, J.J., Mehren, K.G., Jacobs, R.M., Spino, M. (2007). Pharmacokinetic disposition of the oral iron chelator deferiprone in the white Leghorn chicken (Gallus gallus f. domestica). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery. 21 (2): 1- 15.
- Whiteside, D. P., Barker, Conlon, P.D., Tesoro, A., Thiessen, J.J., Mehren, K.G., Jacobs, R.M., Spino, M. (2007). Pharmacokinetic disposition of the oral iron chelator deferiprone in domestic pigeon (Columbia livia). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery. 21(2): 16-30.
- Inglis, G.D., Hoar, B.M.*, Whiteside, D.P., Morck, D.W. (2007). Campylobacter canadensis sp. nov. from captive whooping cranes in Canada. International Journal of Systematic Evolutionary Microbiology. 57; 2636-2644
- Thundathil, J., Whiteside, D., Shea, B., Ludbrook, D., Elkin, B., and Nishi J. (2007). Preliminary assessment of reproductive technologies in wood bison (Bison bison athabascae): Implications for preserving the genetic diversity. Theriogenology. 68: 93-99.
- Hoar, B.M.*, Whiteside, D.P., Ward, L., Inglis, G.D., and Morck, D.W. (2007). Evaluation of the enteric microflora of captive whooping cranes (Grus americana) and sandhill cranes (Grus canadensis). Zoo Biology. 26: 141-153.
- Whiteside, D.P., Remedios, A.M., Black, S.R., Finn-Bodner, S.T. (2006). Meloxicam and surgical denervation of the coxofemoral joint for the treatment of degenerative osteoarthritis in a Bengal tiger (Panthera tigris tigris). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 37(3): 416-419.
- Whiteside, D.P., Shury, T.K., Black, S.R., Raverty, S. (2006). Suspected cervical spinal cord vascular anomaly in an African warthog (Phacochoerus africanus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 37(3): 393-396.
- Wellehan, J.F., Johnson, A.J., Latimer, K.S., Whiteside, D.P., Crawshaw, G.J., Detrisac, C.J., Terrell, S.P., Heard, D. J., Childress. A., Jacobson, E.R. (2005). Varanid herpesvirus 1: a novel herpesvirus associated with proliferative stomatitis in green tree monitors (Varanus prasinus). Veterinary Microbiology. 105 (2): 83-92.
- Whiteside, D. P., Barker, I.K., Mehren, K.G., Jacobs, R.M., Conlon, P.D. (2004). Clinical evaluation of the oral iron chelator deferiprone for the potential treatment of iron overload in bird species. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 35(1):40-9.
For more publications see: https://scholar.google.ca/citations?hl=en&user=avPbYRAAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
- Whiteside, D.P. and Sladky, K.K. (in press). Analgesia. In West, G., Heard, D., Caulkett, N. (eds). Zoo Animal and Wildlife Immobilization and Anesthesia. 3rd Edition. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- Whiteside, D.P. and Slater, O.M. (2018): Caribou and Reindeer in Zoos. In Tryland, M, Kutz, S, Oksanen, A. Reindeer and Caribou- Health and Disease. CRC Press. Pp 455-464.
- Whiteside D.P. (2014). Cuculiformes. In Miller RE, Fowler ME. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, Current Therapy, Volume 8. Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis, Missouri, USA. Pp.186-189.
- Norton, TM and Whiteside, D.P. (2014). Ciconiiformes. In Miller RE, Fowler ME. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, Current Therapy, Volume 8. Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis, Missouri, USA. Pp. 100-104.
- Whiteside, D.P. (2014). Analgesia. In West, G., Heard, D., Caulkett, N. (eds). Zoo Animal and Wildlife Immobilization and Anesthesia. 2nd Edition. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa, USA. Pp. 83-108.
- Whiteside, D.P. (2013). Invertebrate anatomy and physiology. In Irwin, M., Stoner, J. (eds). Zookeeping: An Introduction to the Science and Technology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA. Pp. 111-115
- Whiteside, D.P. (2013). Vertebrate anatomy and physiology. In Irwin, M., Stoner, J. (eds). Zookeeping: An Introduction to the Science and Technology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA. Pp 116-130.
- Jørgensen, D., C.C. Gates, and D.P. Whiteside. (2008). A Review of Radio-Telemetry Research on the Prairie Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis viridis) and select subspecies of the Western Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus). In Hayes, W.K., K.R. Beaman, M.D. Cardwell, and S.P. Bush (Eds.). The Biology of Rattlesnakes, Loma Linda University Press, Loma Linda, California. Pp 303-316.
- Helmer P.J. and Whiteside, D.P. (2005). Amphibian anatomy and physiology. In: O’Malley (ed). Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species. Elsevier Saunders, London. Pp. 3-14.