If you're ready to submit your application to UCVM, please ensure you understand the entry requirements.
To be eligible for admission, you must be an Alberta resident, as defined by the Province of Alberta. As such, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have protected person status under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Criteria are outlined in the Alberta Government Guidelines (within the Student Financial Assistance Regulation) and are used to determine residency status. Details of these residency requirements can be found in the Application Manual (page 5), or they can be accessed on the Alberta Government website (http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/eligibility/).
If you self-identified as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit), Alberta residency requirements do not apply. We will consider all Indigenous applicants from across Canada who meet our academic requirements. Proof of Indigenous status will need to be provided. Click here for details.
- Medical College Admissions Test – MCAT: All applicants must write the Medical College Admission Test in sufficient time to ensure that their MCAT scores will be available to the Admissions Committee by the application deadline (November 26, 2021). This usually means that writing the test by mid-August of the year of application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to take the MCAT and have their score released in time before the UCVM DVM application deadline. Applicants should contact the MCAT Program Office (www.aamc.org/mcat ) for details about the test and they must instruct the organization to release their MCAT results to the University of Calgary.Applicants to the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine DVM program should also be aware that all applicants must complete the 2015 MCAT within three (3) years of the submission date of their application. A minimum MCAT score of 495 is required.
- 10 Required Courses: A passing grade is required in each of the 10 required courses (see Required Course section). Each of the ten (10) courses below must be showing on your official transcript. You must have completed or be in the process of completing the TEN (10) required courses with at least SEVEN (7) of the TEN (10) required courses being completed before December 31, 2021. All courses (including in-progress, online or distance learning courses) must be completed by the end of the Winter term preceding admission (April 30, 2022). No exceptions will be made.
- Four (4) most recent full-time semesters: A minimum combined grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (“B” or its equivalent) over the last four full-time terms of undergraduate academic years must have completed or be in the process of completing four or more terms (semesters) of full time post-secondary undergraduate education at a recognized university or at a college providing university-equivalency in coursework. UCVM defines a “full time” term as a minimum of FOUR (4) ‘first-attempt’ courses per term (semester), taken between the months of September – December (Fall term) and January – April (Winter term) for a total of 16 half-course equivalents. The third and/or fourth term(s) may be in progress at the time of application, but at least four terms of undergraduate education must be completed by the end of the Winter term preceding admission (i.e. April 30, 2022).
A passing grade is required in each of the following suggested courses. Each of the ten (10) courses below must be showing on your official transcript.
- Two Introductory Biology Courses (a lab component is required for each course) | University of Calgary Course: BIOL 241 and BIOL 243
- Two Introductory Chemistry Courses (a lab component is required for each course) | University of Calgary Course: CHEM 201 and CHEM 203
- One Introductory English Course (must contain a writing component) | University of Calgary Course: ENGL 251
- One Introductory Organic Chemistry Course (a lab component is required) | University of Calgary Course: CHEM 351
- One Introductory Statistics Course | University of Calgary Course: STAT 205
- One Introductory Biochemistry Course (a lab component is optional) | University of Calgary Course: BCEM 341 or BCEM 393
- One Introductory Genetics Course (a lab component is optional) | University of Calgary Course: BIOL 311
- One Introductory Ecology Course (a lab component is optional) | University of Calgary Course: BIOL 313
**The University of Calgary courses shown in the list above serve as examples of the required courses. Please refer to the Alberta Transfer Guide website (http://acat.gov.ab.ca) or our UCVM Admissions required courses page to determine if your courses are acceptable. Online or distance-learning courses may be used. The UCVM Admissions committee recommends that you contact the academic program counsellor at your post-secondary institution to ensure that you have all of the required acceptable courses.
Albertans who are enrolled at post-secondary institutions outside of Alberta should consult with the academic program counsellor for their program of study to identify 10 acceptable courses.
English language proficiency must be demonstrated for all applicants for whom English is not their first language. English language proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
(a) Completion of at least two full years within a degree program offered by an accredited university in a country which the University of Calgary recognizes as English language proficiency exempt.
(b) A minimum score of 92 on the Internet-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and a minimum score of 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE); or a minimum score of 237 on the computer-based TOEFL and a minimum score of 50 on the TSE; or a minimum score of 580 on the paper-based TOEFL and a minimum score of 50 on the TSE.
Application for Admission
2021/2022 Admissions Timeline
List of Acceptable Courses from Different Universities
Understanding the Admission Process
2020 / 2021 Cycle