Graduate Student Stipends

The Office of Graduate Education processes stipends for graduate students enrolled in a Faculty of Veterinary Medicine graduate program.

To set up or change any student payments, or for any questions you may have please contact us by email at . 

  • New stipend payment set up
  • Revision to existing payments, including extensions and accounting changes
  • Stop payments

For more information on how to fill out the Student Payment Form please see here.

  1. Open the Student Payment Form
  2. Fill in the highlighted boxes
  3. Verify payment amount & accounting information
  4. Email form to
  5. Should any changes need to be made or if payment needs to be renewed, go back to Step 1
  • Email requests will no longer be accepted by the Office of Graduate Education. Payments will only be set up, altered, or cancelled when instructed to do so with the Student Payment Form.
  • In order to ensure time for processing and continuity of payment, please submit any forms by the 10th day of the month (or the day prior if the 10th falls on a weekend or holiday).
  • Payment to graduate students for work done that is related to their thesis is not taxed (T4A income) and is paid out monthly on the 25th of each month.

Notes For Supervisors

  1. Should your student win an award outside of their regular stipend you will need to submit the form to the Office of Graduate Education (OGE). Adjustments to their payments will not be altered without your written request.
  2. The OGE will only alter or cancel a student payment after written request has been made by the supervisor. Proper documentation MUST be submitted or stipend will continue until it expires.
  3. The OGE will only process payments for students that are currently enrolled in program.
  4. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the supervisor of all awards awarded and held. Supervisor can request the OGE to check what awards their student(s) are currently holding.
  • Ensure that you verify the payment amount and the account from which it is to be withdrawn before submitting the form. The VMS OGE does not have the ability to check the status of supervisor’s grants or if the grants allow for a student stipend to be paid out as an award. 
  • When applying for funding, ensure that funds to pay students are student stipend (non taxable T4A income) as activities performed for this stipend are directly related to their education. Upon receipt of funds, the project holder must contact Research Services to set up the Project.
  • The project holder must confirm that account code 63020 (MSc students), 63015 (PhD students), or 63025 (summer undergraduate research students) payments (T4A income) may be paid from the provided RT# (this may be done by checking through eFin).
  • Student stipend (T4A income) is allowable on all operating accounts thus no confirmation is necessary. Accounts are set up through the UCVM Office of the Dean.

Notes for Students

  • Students MUST inform supervisors of awards won and any other alterations in funding.
  • It is the responsibility of both the student and the supervisor to ensure that the correct amount is being paid and to update the OGE should any revisions need to be made.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to double check their pay information and inform their supervisor of any abnormalities to their pay (over or under pay).